Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pin 6: Personlized Handwriting Workbook

Time: 25 minutes
Cost: $3 / binder & heavy duty page covers
Result: Excellent!!!


Pin source:customized hand-writing pages

When I first saw this link, I thought how fun it would be to make a book for Specs to practice reading, practice writing, AND learn things like his phone number and address. Due to his special delays, he also has to memorize phrases about himself, since he doesn't really understand questions like, 'what's your name?', and 'how old are you?'. So I included those important details too.

The workbook needed to be reusable so I wasn't constantly printing out pages (especially since that part was a little painful) So I slipped each page into a heavy-duty page protector, which I'd read were dry-erasable. Perfect for use with Specs' dry-erase crayons!

Frustration 1: character limits. 12 characters for portrait pages and 17 for landscape. I wanted the whole book to be uniform, so after much playing around with it, all the pages are in landscape.

Frustration 2: in landscape you end up with 2 printed pages, which I didn't want. So I learned to only print 'page 1 of 1'. I used scrap paper for the pages...if it ends up distracting him too much, I'll reprint on plain 'new' paper.

Possible Mistake 1: I purchased 'non-glare' page protectors, which have a bumpy texture...At first I didn't like it, but then I realized it helped Spec's crayons grip the page better....thank goodness because he's a perfectionist and has a mini-melt-down anytime his crayon slips.







Specs is obsessed with numbers, so I shouldn't have been surprised that our phone number was his favorite page. Wonderful! Not to mention this was the longest he's sat still all summer. Definitely a winning project!

No comments:

Post a Comment